Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Day Five - Stubborn

I work in a public school system; it is a great place to work. I have a wonderful administrative team, great colleagues and fantastic students. I love going to work each day.

I also belong to a union who represents us and negotiates our contract every three years. In other schools where I have worked, there was a sense of mutual respect and camaraderie between the teachers and the school committee. Not so in this school system! We have not had a contract for the past two years - but the negotiations always seem toxic.

There has been much blahblahblah and mind-numbing animosity about all this...Happily however, an agreement was reached last week; we all got to vote on it today. Shockingly, not everyone voted...you can't complain if you don't vote!  I am very grateful to my negotiation team members for all their work.

It seems that most everyone is unhappy with the terms - to my way of thinking, that means it is fair.

No comments:

Post a Comment