Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Day Sixty-seven - Rogue Hurricane

The day after... The winds roared from 5 AM yesterday morning until 11 PM last night, blasting punishing gusts through the trees and against the windows and walls. I watched the Norwegian maple beside the house as the branches torqued and twisted in the wind until darkness fell.

When I awoke this morning, the sun was bright and the winds were soft and tranquil. The beach looked like a new baby - the sand was soft and smoothe, and looked touched by a gentle hand. All the seaweed, rocks, broken shells and nastiness had washed out into the parking lot, leaving the beach pristine. The horseshoe crabs had a tough time of it. I saw some of them out by the street beyond the lot. As I walked along, little girl was collecting them, and arranging them into a funky collection. She was happy to have me take their picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment