Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Day Thirteen - Report

Doctor, Doctor, gimme the news...

It was a Doctorpalooza day. Mother was not doing well. She failed her swallowing test; she has no swallow reflex at this time. I talked to the SLP who was evaluating her; she will try again tomorrow to see if she has improved. Nursing reported she is not doing well; the doctor has called for a family meeting to discuss Mother's final wishes. Dearly Beloved and I planned to attend, and fill in his west-coast siblings later on.

When we arrived at the hospital, Mother was like a different person! She was telling slightly confused stories, but there was no facial droop, and her speech was not slurred! The doctor was blown away, and decided he had to change his meeting plan. Instead of planning for her imminent demise, we discussed rehab, and the possibility of a short-term feeding tube if her swallowing problems continued. Things are looking brighter!

The other doctor event...remember that bloodwork I had done? The doctor's office called to discuss it, which in my book is never a good sign. They told me that I have an abnormally underactive thyroid, and that I had to start taking medication for it, which I will take for the rest of my life. Rather mind-blowing! I am happy it is not heart disease, or diabetes, any other horrid thing, but this is the first long-term medicine I have had to take. Bummer.

Maybe this will lead to magical, permanent weight loss!  Surrender....!

No comments:

Post a Comment